Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2019

Secretary Acosta - Another One Bites the Dust

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody and really liked it. I get it that there's plenty of fake news wrapped up in the movie, but . . . so what? Did you notice all the fake news in BlacKkKlansman? So long as no one's passing it off as fact and it advances the movie's narrative without making the ultimate message dishonest, who cares?‎ These are good and arguably important (and Oscar-winning) movies.* 

So, speaking of Bohemian Rhapsody, fake news and competing narratives, we have (music, please) the rise and fall, and prompt resignation, of Alexander Acosta. What's the link between Bohemian Rhapsody and Acosta? Isn't it obvious? - Another One Bites the Dust (in the Trump cabinet), of course! 

Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here and theorize that this isn't all about Epstein. I think the Trump administration just absolutely detested him, policy-wise. Indeed, there were reports about Mulvaney and Acosta and changed locks (!), and about other related general distrust and dismay.

Secretary Acosta, we hardly knew ya.**


________________
* Contrast Bohemian Rhapsody with Rocketman, which was also great (although I'm biased, 'cuz Elton's my favorite pop star, and I adore Bernie), but which is more obviously stylized and fictionalized.  

** And thanks to my friend Matt R. for pointing out the somewhat interesting juxtaposition of Acosta's plea deal with Epstein, on the one hand, and Acosta's early Rule of Law WSJ op-ed (see generally my earlier post noting the op-ed), on the other.

No comments: