Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013

Rollovers as a Laughing Matter in "Identity Thief"

Look for the reference to qualified-plan rollovers from Jason Bateman's character towards the beginning of Identity Thief.  His character is in the financial-services industry and deals with individual investors.  The rollover reference seemed like a strained one, but someone must have thought that it would make the job seem more real.  It's true, after all, that so much capital available for investment, whether from individuals or institutions, is in some type of retirement vehicle.  Regardless, I'll take retirement-plan references in movies any way I can get 'em.

And, by the way, what a surprisingly terrific movie!  (I guess I'm going to break with a whole bunch of critics on this one.)  Instead of building a rational foundation at the outset and falling apart towards the end, like all too many comedies do, this movie early on relies on a fair amount of absurd situations and then continues the silliness consistently and hilariously as it progresses, ultimately straightening out, rather than collapsing, as it winds down.  So now, in light of Bridesmaids, two of my favorite comedies in recent memory have Melissa McCarthy in them.  I guess I must think she's pretty funny.

Stay warm . . .

No comments: